2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster with black leather interior and black soft top, all numbers matching, well maintained and sorted, very clean and recently received an extensive mechanical service and restoration. Previous owner had the car for the last 11 years, clean California title and Carfax (shows minor front-end incident in 2005, front bumper damaged, fully documented), registration is paid until August-2018. Received over $5,000 worth of service just 200 miles ago to bring car back to like new condition, including new summer tires, clutch service, new flex disc, new brake pads and rotors, new Bilstein suspension with H&R Springs, new tie rods, control arm bushings, alignment, new belts, MAF service, new sparkplugs, engine-transmission-diff oil change, rebuilt shift linkage, door handle gaskets and much more. Subframe inspected and in perfect condition. The paint has received a professional multi-step detail with paint protection and the leather interior was professionally conditioned and shows exceptionally well. The car is stunning, very quick and perhaps best of all, very reliable. The car comes complete with all original keys, tools, books, original car cover and top cover. This is a rare opportunity to own an appreciating future collectible that is turnkey and ready to be enjoyed for year to come.
Description and history:
This M Roadster has a clean California title and is registered in the state until August of 2018. It was well maintained by the previous owner for almost 12 years and driven less than 1,000 miles a year, only during summers. The car is originally from Indiana, where it only saw warm weather, as visible by the dry chassis and suspension. The owners took very good care of the car and it shows by the condition of the leather seats, the soft top fabric and the overall condition of the drivetrain. It was always garaged with a car cover (included) and serviced at least annually. The car received a thorough PPI prior to my purchase which found mostly common service issues consistent with the car’s age. I have had the front bumper removed and professionally refurbished to new condition and I also replaced all of the wheels with near-new condition originals and also installed brand new summer tires. The car has all original body panels with matching VIN stickers and a perfect condition rear subframe (all documented).
I personally flew to Colorado and drove the car 1,100 miles directly back to Southern California, taking the twisty routes through the Colorado Rockies. The car performed flawlessly through the non-stop nearly 15 hour journey and was a joy to drive. Once home, the car received a full inspection to identify the parts and services it needed. It then received an extremely thorough restoration estimated at over 100 hours. The restoration work is summarized below and included addressing issues common to the Z3 model cars, replacing warn parts due to age, and even addressing items proactively to ensure this car performs like new for years to come.
Overall, it’s a very original example of an M Roadster that’s been refreshed and mechanically restored. It still has the original compact disc head unit, original tools, keys, books, etc. The windows have not been tinted, and there is no aftermarket alarm or sound system. The only non-OEM parts are the suspension, which I upgraded to Bilstein shocks and H&R springs to improve handling and the BMW ///M performance pedals.
Restoration service/recent work performed (only 100 miles ago):
Many of the common wear items and issues on these cars have been addressed, some preventatively, to ensure all of the car’s functions operate as they did when new, some even better. It’s back to being the visceral driver’s car that was designed by BMW’s M Division.
- Oil service: Mobil 1 Synthetic oil 5W30 (recommended), new Hengst oil filter, housing o-rings and drain nut crush ring.
- Power steering fluid checked
- Transmission fluid service: Topped off with BMW MTL gear oil (recommended)
- Differential fluid service: Topped off with Mobil 75W90 LS gear oil
- Performed brake fluid flush: Replaced fluid with Ate SL Dot 4 fluid
- Replaced air filter
Service B and additional maintenance:
- Mass Airflow Sensor and throttle body service: Cleaned with MAF cleaner and throttle body cleaner
- Replaced sparkplugs: New Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs (recommended),
- Replaced the main and accessory belts
- Replaced belt rollers and tensioner
- Replaced fuel filter
- Applied fuel system cleaner
- Replaced flex disc (Guibo)
- Inspect/lubricate door hinges
- Replaced clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing with Sachs kit,
- Performed detent pin service,
- Replaced shift rod seal,
- Replaced clutch slave,
- Rebuilt shifter mechanism,
- Replaced transmission mounts
- Replaced front and rear brake rotors with stock replacements
- Replaced front and rear brake pads
- Cleaned and repainted brake calipers and fasteners
- Inspected parking brakes
- Flushed brake and clutch slave fluid
- Replaced front and rear shocks and struts with Bilstein Sport shocks to improve ride
- Replaced rear shock tower mounts with Rogue Engineering performance mounts
- Replaced stock springs with German made H&R sport springs to improve handling
- Replaced front control arm bushings (L&R)
- Replaced inner and outer tie rod assemblies to improve steering tightness and feel
- Car received 4-wheel alignment
Exterior/Interior Professionally Detailed
This car was treated to a 20+ hour professional detail to revitalize the car’s exterior and interior, as well as to protect it from the elements and from wear for years to come.
- Underside and wheel wells were pressure washed or steam cleaned, exhaust tips polished, wheel well plastic and engine under-tray treated
- Paint received a multi-step treatment (clay bar, polished, sealed, waxed) and finished with two coats of wax 12 hours apart
- All plastics and rubber was treated
- Headlights, taillights and rear window were polished and sealed for protection
- Interior and trunk carpets were vacuumed and shampooed
- All interior leather was cleaned and treated multiple times with leather conditioner
- Soft top was shampooed and the fabric was treated
Final Exterior Work Performed
- The car was inspected and serviced by a paint less dent removal specialist to remove door dings
- The front bumper was removed, professionally refinished and carefully reinstalled with a new lower center grill.
- Replaced driver and passenger door handle gaskets
This car comes with the original keys, manuals/books, BMW M Mobility system, top-tonneu cover, car cover, BMW rear window blanket, and complete tool kit in the trunk.
This car is in stunning overall condition, both cosmetically and mechanically, and is very rewarding to drive. The car’s exterior is in very good condition with a deep and rich silver metallic paint. There are only a few rock chips present on the front end of the hood, but they are not very noticeable. There is a one small round scratch on the lower right side of the rear bumper. It has been touched up and is very hard to see. The front edges of the front bumper are free of scrapes or cracks. The staggered Roadstar Motorsport wheels are in near new condition with brand new Kumho summer tires. The headlights and taillights are very clear with no fogging. All of the doors, including the bonnet (hood) and trunk have had their mechanisms cleaned and lubricated and are dent free.
The interior is very clean and in great condition. The interior leather has been cleaned and conditioned and is soft to the touch. There is very little wear on the driver’s side bolster. The shifter was replaced with a new OEM lighted leather shifter, the doors and passenger seat are all in good condition. The carpets have been shampooed and vacuumed. The seat rails are in perfect condition and don’t rock back and forth (common issue). All interior lights, including in the gauges, buttons and shifter, are fully functional.
The soft top is new and in perfect condition with very little signs of wear, and the rear window is clear and free of any damage or cracks. The power soft top operates flawlessly. The rear differential mount and trunk floor are in great condition and were inspected prior to my purchase and again recently and are perfect.
Mechanically, the engine starts right up and is very responsive. It idles strong and comes to operating temperature very quickly and delivers strong power through the rev band. The steering feel is tight and very responsive. The car has received a meticulous engine and drivetrain service, as explained in detail above. The clutch pedal is easy to operate and engages immediately. The shifter is tight and gears are easy to engage. The brake pedal is confidence inspiring and overall the brakes are very powerful, thanks in part to new rotors, pads and a fresh two-step brake flush.
Overall, the car is "turn-key" and back to like new condition and ready to be enjoyed for years to come.