The Z3 M Roadster is a special car, and this is the most special version of all – the "S54"-powered M Roadster, meaning it's a rare, limited-production late model example equipped with the 3.2-liter inline-6 borrowed from the E46 M3. That's a big deal, as fewer than 15 percent of these Z3 M Roadster models got the bigger S54 engine like this one. This particular car is finished in Black Sapphire Metallic with a gorgeous Imola Red interior, and it features heated seats, an M steering wheel, and a Harman/Kardon audio system. Of course, it comes with a 5-speed manual – and it also boasts just 21,700 miles from new, along with a clean, accident-free Carfax report for added buyer confidence.
THIS... is a 2001 BMW M Roadster, finished in Black Sapphire Metallic with a black soft top and an Imola Red/black interior.
- This Z3 M Roadster is equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission, and its odometer indicates approximately 21,700 miles.
- The attached Carfax history report lists no accidents or odometer discrepancies in this BMW's past.
- According to a build sheet pictured in the gallery, equipment on this M Roadster includes 17-inch wheels, a limited-slip differential, heated seats, a Harman/Kardon sound system, Nappa leather upholstery, and more detailed below.
- Based on the Z3, the M Roadster made its debut in 1998 with a more powerful engine shared with the E36 M3, a sportier suspension system, and wider wheel arches, among other changes. It was immediately hailed as one of the best driver's cars on the market.
- BMW built 8,939 units of the "S52"-powered M Roadster between 1998 and 2000, according to the BMW M Registry. An additional 1,565 cars were manufactured from 2001 to 2002 with the newer "S54" engine, bringing the total to 10,504.
- Power for this M Roadster comes from a 3.2-liter S54 inline-6, rated at 315 horsepower and 251 lb-ft of torque. Output is sent to the rear wheels via a 5-speed manual transmission.
A build sheet is provided in the photo gallery, and a partial list of notable equipment includes:
- 17-inch wheels
- Limited-slip differential
- Power-operated soft top
- Nappa leather upholstery
- "M" leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Heated seats
- M steering wheel
- Harman/Kardon sound system
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC II) system
- Rock chips on front bumper and hood
- Various exterior chips and scratches noted in the photo gallery
- Some creasing on driver's seat
- Scratches on gauge pod
Recent Service History
The attached Carfax report shows that the following services have been performed:
- September 2021 (21,666 miles): Engine oil and filter changed
- January 2019 (21,329 miles): Brake fluid flushed, engine air filter replaced, alignment performed
The seller reports that the seat bushings were replaced, and a new set of tires were mounted and balanced in December 2018. Some additional service history is detailed in the attached Carfax history report.
Other Items Included in Sale
- 1 primary key, 1 plastic key
- Owner's manual
- Car cover
- Tonneau cover
The seller purchased this Z3 M in July 2021.
The seller reports that the front bumper was repainted in August 2004.